National Clean Your Virtual Desktop Day
October 16, 2017
You finally have an excuse to put work aside and get that desktop clean. If you’re like me your desktop and hard drive are a mess. Sometimes it takes longer to find a document than to actual finish the project. Here are a few hints to get you started:
- Backup your documents on something besides your hard drive. I personally use a memory stick. Some people like to back up to the cloud. Use whatever you’re comfortable with, but, do this first. You may delete something you didn’t mean to.
- Decide on a file system that will work for you. I setup a folder for the year, then, put folders by subject in the proper year. I also have folders that are not date sensitive by subject.
- Start with your desktop. Move documents you need to keep into the proper folders. Delete any that have become irrelevant. If in doubt have a folder to drop things that you need to think about. Visit this folder in a few weeks and make a decision then.
- After you get your desktop looking like the day you brought your computer home, move on to your “My Documents” files.
- Keep repeating the process through all your folders and files.
- Be sure to empty your “Recycle Bin”.
At the end of the day celebrate! You are now ready to take on any and all projects that come your way!